Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thinking back on our first four years

Last Wednesday, Kathryn and I celebrated our fourth year of marriage. A part of me is saying 'I can't believe four years has already gone by,' yet another part of me is saying, 'It feels like we have always been.' I mean, I can hardly remember a time when there was a Colby without the Kathryn. I am the biggest fan of my wife of four years.

Over the last couple of days I have been reflecting on our years of marriage and have come to realize just how much we need God's grace in our lives. Something that I have learned and want to pass on to others is the primary purpose of marriage. I wish that I would have known this before I asked Kathryn to marry me but remember, God's grace has been evident in our lives. Well, what is the primary purpose of marriage?

The primary and beautiful purpose of marriage is to showcase the gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul tells us in Ephesians 5 that wives are to submit to their husbands as the church submits to Jesus. He also teaches that, as the wives are to submit, husbands are to love their wives as Jesus loves His church. What a calling we have been given! What that means is that when people look at my marriage they should be able to see a picture of Jesus Christ and His Church. I am to love Kathryn as Jesus Himself loved the church and gave Himself for her. It is my prayer that I will love my wife in that way.

Thank you Father for your overflowing grace in my marriage and thank you Kathryn for loving me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I should pick up roses on the way home. I probaby won't, but I should.

    ReplyDelete